Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Start Here

http://www.newsweek.com/id/212131
This is a newsweek article that I read a few weeks ago, and it discusses many of the current myths and rumors surrounding the health care debate. Whether you are for or against reform is your own personal decision, but before you buy into the hot catch phrase of the day and believe everything emailed or yelled about. Start with this article and get an idea of what the truth behind the rumors. This is a hot button issue right now and with nearly 50 million people without health coverage something must be done. You cannot drive down the street without car insurance, why should you be able to walk down the street without health insurance.

6 comments:

  1. My take on part of the health care debate:

    http://www.aberdeennews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090809/OPINION02/908090334/1015/COLUMNISTS

    And, much more interesting, my wife's view:

    http://www.aberdeennews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=COLUMNISTS03&Template=COLUMNISTS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people, unless with serious medical needs, don't seriously think about health care until after college. How do you try to get a bunch of high school students to care?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a doozy. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Amber said, I feel like it is hard for me to get into this debate, because it is something that I will not have to worry about until after college (fortuantely). However, I like your point about "why should we be able to walk down the street without health insurance." I have never really thought about it like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is because when you drive you are wielding a instrument of death that can kill any number of people. When you walk you are not to lethal. Except for Jackie Chan. Jackie Chan should have to be licensed to walk down the street. I agree something has to be done and I think something will be done sooner or later. It is just how to go about doing it. I think being from America we should make our system the best. I expect no less from US. I capitalized US because I was trying to be dramatic. Like us . The United States. It could have been an epic failure. You decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Josh that requiring automobile insurance is different than requiring health insurance. With auto insurance, you are only required to insure against damage you might cause others. You don't *have* to insure yourself at all: comp and collision insurance are optional. People that drive cars like mine (more than 10 years old) generally don't.

    ReplyDelete