Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Some off the wall ideas.

Besides death the other 800 pound gorilla in your hospital room is money. The all powerful dollar rules so much of this debate, from how does the government fund this, why bills are so high, how much can a patient win in a malpractice suit, and how well should doctors be compensated. I cannot pretend to understand all of the dollars and cents of this problem, but I can throw around some random ideas. First of all I believe doctors earn what is available to them in their market and should be allowed to take whatever money comes their way. However, I believe just as autoworkers and other factory industries priced themselves out of the market, doctors are reaching their ceiling. I understand testing, equipment, and other things in the field cost money, but a controllable dimension are the salaries of physicians. I understand their malpractice insurance costs are insane and the time and money it takes to become a doctor cannot be underscored, but I believe we can fix that too. The first thing to address is the idea that a doctor can be sued, I understand they make a mistake its life and death, but they are human, and paying someone rediculous amounts of money does not ease the pain. You can come up with many a case for negligence leading to death or misdiagnosis, but their must be a review by medical doctor to decide if compensation is necessary. The second thing is the med school is incredibly expensive, why not have government paid med school for those who qualify, these are essential jobs, and we should support these people at every level. Then I believe you could set a reasonable salary for doctors, and they would be able to get by just fine. These are rapidly constructed thoughts, but I hope this could be a viable alternative.

1 comment:

  1. I would feel bad for doctors having to pay high malpractice insurance costs if they also didn't have mansions, private planes, and sailboats.

    There was a brief blurb about this subject in a recent issue of Time Magazine:
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1924501,00.html

    I'm intrigued by the idea that having DRs admit to errors early, seems to be causing a decline in claims.

    ReplyDelete